How We Rate Portable Generators
At Power Supply Zone, we understand the importance of reliable and efficient portable generators. That’s why we’ve developed a comprehensive rating system to help you make informed decisions.
Our main score, the Editor’s Rating, is based on a thorough analysis across five key categories: Performance, Convenience, Reliability, Value for Money, and Other Users’ Experience. Each category is further broken down into specific criteria.
Our Rating System Explained
Our rating system is designed to provide a clear, concise, and comprehensive assessment of each portable generator we review. We use a numerical scale from 1 to 10 for each of the five categories: Performance, Convenience, Reliability, Value for Money, and Other Users’ Experience. Here’s how it works:
- 1-2 (Poor): A score in this range indicates that the generator significantly underperforms in this category. It may have serious flaws, lack important features, or receive predominantly negative feedback from users.
- 3-4 (Fair): A generator with a score in this range has room for improvement. It meets the basic requirements but falls short in some areas compared to other models on the market.
- 5-6 (Good): This score signifies that the generator performs adequately in this category. It has a decent set of features and capabilities, but there might be some minor issues or areas where it could improve.
- 7-8 (Very Good): A generator with a score in this range performs well in this category. It has strong features and capabilities, with only a few minor drawbacks.
- 9-10 (Excellent): This is the highest score range and indicates that the generator excels in this category. It offers superior performance, top-tier features, or exceptional value, and receives overwhelmingly positive feedback from users.
Each category is rated separately, and the scores are then combined to form the overall Editor’s Rating. This approach ensures a balanced evaluation, with each category holding equal weight in the final score. Below you can learn more about each of the criteria and categories we evaluate.
Performance is a critical factor and it refers to how effectively and efficiently a generator can convert fuel (such as gasoline, diesel, or propane) into electrical power. This is typically measured across several key parameters:
Our Convenience rating shows how easy and user-friendly it is to operate, transport, and maintain the generator. This is rated on several key criteria:
Our Reliability rating reflects the generator’s ability to consistently perform its function over time without failures or significant decreases in performance. To rate this category we consider the following factors:
Value for MoneyOur Value for Money rating reflects the balance between the price of the generator and the benefits it provides, including its features, performance, reliability, and lifespan. The criteria we take into consideration for this category are:
Other Users’ ExperienceThe Other Users’ Experience rating is a vital part of our review process. It’s not just about our expert opinion; it’s about the collective experiences of individuals who have used the generator in real-world scenarios. This category is primarily based on feedback and reviews from actual users of the generator. Here’s how we approach it:
Drawing upon our years of expertise in the electrical engineering and power systems industry, as well as our own hands-on experience as users of portable generators, we have developed a strong understanding of what consumers truly value in a top-quality portable generator.