Table of Contents
- 1 DuroMax XP12000EH Generator
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
- 4 General Rating
- 5 DuroMax XP12000EH Video Reviews
- 6 DuroMax XP12000EH Generator Review
- 6.1 Performance
- 6.2 Convenience
- 6.3 Reliability
- 6.4 Value for Money
- 6.5 Other Users’ Experience
- 6.6 DuroMax XP12000EH Alternatives
- 6.7 Strengths and Weaknesses of the DuroMax XP12000EH
- 7 Features and Specifications
- 8 About DuroMax Company
- 9 Who Should Buy the DuroMax XP12000EH?
- 10 Conclusion: DurMax XP12000EH Generator Review
TL;DR: The DuroMax XP12000EH is a powerful, dual fuel generator with a high power output, making it suitable for a variety of uses. It’s not the most portable or quiet, but its performance and versatility make it a solid choice.
The DuroMax XP12000EH dual fuel, hybrid generator, often referred to as the ‘Beast’, is a powerhouse of performance and endurance, designed to cater to a wide range of power needs.
Whether you’re planning an outdoor adventure, preparing for potential power outages, or need a reliable power source for your construction site, the XP12000EH promises to deliver. With its impressive power output, dual fuel capability, and a host of other features, it’s designed to provide dependable power wherever and whenever you need it.
In this DuroMax XP12000EH review, we’ll dissect the features, specifications, and performance of the generator. We’ll discuss everything from its engine performance and fuel efficiency to its noise levels and safety features. As an expert in portable generators, I’ll provide an in-depth analysis to help you determine if this ‘Beast’ is the right choice for your power needs. So, let’s get started.
After conducting a thorough review of the DuroMax XP12000EH portable generator, we have assessed it based on more than 15 criteria spanning five distinct categories: Performance, Convenience, Reliability, Value for Money, and Other Users’ Experience. The Editor’s Rating serves as the primary score, representing our comprehensive assessment of the generator.
Below is a detailed breakdown of the ratings:
|Fuel efficiency and run time||7.5|
|Ease of Use||8.5|
|Reliability and Durability||8|
|Value for Money||8.3|
To learn more about our Rating system, visit this page.
Check out our curated ranking lists featuring the DuroMax XP12000EH as a top choice:
DuroMax XP12000EH Video Reviews
DuroMax XP12000EH Generator Review
- The DuroMax XP12000EH delivers an impressive power output, handling high loads smoothly and consistently. It can power a wide range of appliances, making it versatile for various uses.
- The option to use either gasoline or propane for fuel adds a layer of convenience and adaptability.
- The noise output is manageable and not significantly disruptive, although it is a bit louder than advertised.
- Overall, the DuroMax XP12000EH showcases reliable and efficient performance, making it a robust choice for various power needs despite its minor shortcomings.
- Overall, the DuroMax XP12000EH’s performance is reliable and efficient, making it a solid choice for a variety of power needs.
The DuroMax XP12000EH provides impressive power output. It’s capable of producing 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts on gasoline, and 11,400 starting watts and 9,025 running watts on propane. This makes it one of the most powerful portable generators on the market.
The generator’s power output is more than sufficient for most heavy-duty applications, including running large appliances, heavy tools, and even entire households during power outages. Users have praised its ability to handle multiple high-demand appliances simultaneously without any issues.
To give you a better idea of what this generator can power, let’s look at a table of common appliances and tools, along with their running and starting watts:
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|Refrigerator||200 W||1200 W|
|1/2 HP Furnace Fan||800 W||2350 W|
|Television (LED)||70 W||120 W|
|Laptop||50 W||75 W|
|10,000 BTU Air Conditioner||1500 W||3000 W|
|Electric Grill||1650 W||1650 W|
|Circular Saw||1400 W||2300 W|
|1 HP Air Compressor||1600 W||4500 W|
|Coffee Maker||1000 W||1000 W|
|Hair Dryer||1500 W||1500 W|
The dual fuel capability is a significant advantage, providing flexibility and ensuring you’re never without power. Switching between gasoline and propane is seamless and doesn’t affect the generator’s performance.
One thing to note is that while the power output is impressive, it does come with increased fuel consumption. However, most users find this trade-off acceptable given the amount of power it provides.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH generator offers a high power output, making it a reliable choice for those needing a powerful, versatile generator for various heavy-duty applications.
Run Time and Fuel Efficiency
The generator’s fuel capacity is 8.3 gallons when running on gasoline. This substantial capacity contributes to its extended run times, reducing the frequency of refueling and providing convenience for the user.
When it comes to run times, the XP12000EH performs admirably. On a full tank of gasoline, it can run for 8 hours at 50% load and an impressive 19 hours at 25% load. These figures place the XP12000EH above the average run times for generators in its class, which are 9 hours at 50% load and 17 hours at 25% load.
However, the XP12000EH’s fuel efficiency is slightly below average. At 25% load, it consumes about 0.44 gallons per hour (GPH), which is just below the average of 0.45 GPH. At 50% load, its fuel consumption increases to 1.04 GPH, surpassing the average of 0.85 GPH. This higher fuel consumption is a trade-off for the generator’s high power output and is something to consider if fuel efficiency is a priority.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH offers decent run times but its fuel efficiency is slightly below average, and it lacks specific fuel-saving features. This is why we are giving it a rating of 7.5 out of 10 in this category.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is not a quiet whisper in the woods, but it’s not a roaring beast either. The manufacturer advertises a noise level of 74 dBA, which is on par with the average noise level for generators in its class.
In real-world testing, the noise level was found to be slightly higher than advertised. The noise level was measured to be 89 to 90 dB at a distance of 5 feet under no load, and 75 to 77 dB at a distance of 30 feet under no load. This is a bit louder than the advertised 74 dBA, but it’s important to note that these measurements were taken under no load. The noise level may increase under load, but this is typical for most generators.
Compared to other generators in its class, the XP12000EH’s noise level is on par. The noise levels for generators in this class range from 69 to 78 dBA, with the XP12000EH falling right in the middle.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH offers a decent noise level for its size and power output. It’s not whisper-quiet, but it’s also not disruptively loud. It strikes a good balance, providing powerful performance without causing too much noise disturbance.
- The DuroMax XP12000EH is a heavyweight generator, weighing 224 lbs, which is slightly above the average weight of generators in its class. However, its robust wheel kit and sturdy handles significantly enhance its portability.
- The control panel is intuitively designed, making it easy for users to monitor and control the generator’s operation. The dual fuel capability offers flexibility and convenience in fuel choice.
- Maintenance is made easy with the design of the generator, and the fuel gauge provides a clear indication of fuel levels, simplifying the refueling process.
- The lack of covered outlets is a minor drawback in terms of convenience.
- Overall, the DuroMax XP12000EH offers a high level of convenience for a generator of its size and power output.
The DuroMax XP12000EH Generator is a powerful machine, but its portability is a bit of a mixed bag.
On one hand, it is equipped with solid-fill wheels and a handle kit, which make it easier to move around. This is a crucial feature for a generator of this size and power. The wheels are durable and can handle rough terrains, which is a plus if you plan on using this generator in various locations.
However, it’s important to note that this is a heavy-duty generator, weighing in at about 224 pounds. This weight can make it challenging to transport, especially if you need to lift it into a vehicle or move it up and down stairs. It’s not something you’d want to move around frequently on your own.
Comparison of the Weight of DuroMax XP12000EH vs other dual fuel generators in the same class.
In conclusion, while the DuroMax XP12000EH generator is not the most portable option on the market due to its weight, it does come with features that make it as mobile as possible for its size. If you need a generator with this much power and can handle the weight, it could be a good option for you. However, if portability is a top priority for you, you might want to consider a lighter model.
Ease of Use
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a user-friendly device that is designed with the end user in mind.
Its dual-fuel capability adds to its convenience. And switching between both fuel types is hassle-free.
The setup process is straightforward, with all necessary accessories included, such as a user manual, DC charging cables, a warranty card, a toolset, a wheel and handle kit, a spark plug wrench, and an oil funnel.
The electric start feature makes it easy to get the generator running, and the power panel has a clear and intuitive layout.
The generator is also equipped with individual breakers for each outlet, which makes it safer and easier to use.
However, the generator is quite heavy, which can make it challenging to move around. Fortunately, it has solid-fill wheels which aid in its mobility.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator is generally easy to use, with its dual fuel technology and clear power panel being standout features. However, its weight could be a potential downside for some users.
- The DuroMax XP12000EH is a reliable and durable generator with a robust build, suitable for various demanding conditions.
- Its dual-fuel capability enhances its reliability, providing versatility in fuel choice.
- The generator is CARB and EPA compliant, ensuring it meets stringent emission standards.
- It comes with a competitive 3-year warranty, providing a safety net for your investment.
- However, some reported issues with the generator’s reliability and customer service should be considered by potential buyers.
- Overall, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a robust and versatile generator that stands out in its class. Despite some reported issues, its overall performance and competitive warranty make it a worthy investment.
Reliability and Durability
The DuroMax XP12000EH Generator is a reliable and durable machine. It is designed to withstand tough conditions and long hours of operation.
Its dual fuel capability ensures that you’re never left in the dark, providing an alternative fuel source if one is unavailable. The generator’s engine, an 18HP, 457cc OHV, is a reliable workhorse that provides a steady power supply for extended periods.
The XP12000EH is designed with an all-metal construction and fully isolated motor mounts, contributing to its robustness. It also includes a low-oil shutoff feature that protects the engine from damage.
In our research, we found that many users have praised the generator’s performance during power outages and its resilience in various weather conditions.
However, some users have reported issues with the generator failing after a few uses. While these instances seem to be exceptions rather than a rule, they do raise concerns about the generator’s reliability.
In conclusion, while the DuroMax XP12000EH has some reported issues, it is generally considered a reliable and durable generator. Its robust construction, high power output, and dual fuel capability make it a solid choice for those in need of a powerful, versatile generator.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is CARB and EPA approved, which means it meets both the national and California-specific emission standards and can be used anywhere in the U.S.
The DuroMax XP12000EH comes with a 3-year limited warranty. This warranty period is quite competitive when compared to other dual fuel generators in its class, with many offering only a 1 or 2-year warranty.
The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, providing peace of mind to the users. It’s important to note that, like most warranties, it doesn’t cover damage caused by misuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications.
DuroMax’s customer service is also worth mentioning. Many users have reported positive experiences with DuroMax’s customer service team. Having a responsive and helpful customer service team can make the process of claiming warranty repairs or replacements much smoother.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH’s 3-year warranty, combined with the company’s reputed customer service, provides a strong safety net for your investment.
Value for Money
- The DuroMax XP12000EH justifies its price with robust performance and high power output.
- The dual fuel capability offers versatility and convenience, enhancing the generator’s value proposition.
- While the initial cost might be significant, the generator’s reliability and durability can lead to cost savings over time, especially for regular users.
- Despite being positioned in the upper range of the market, the DuroMax XP12000EH offers substantial value for its cost, making it a worthy investment for those in need of a powerful, reliable generator.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a high-end generator, and its price reflects this. It’s positioned in the upper range of the market, but considering its power output, dual fuel capability, and robust construction, it offers good value for money.
While the initial cost of the DuroMax XP12000EH might be higher compared to other models, it offers significant value for its price when you consider its features and performance.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is packed with a variety of features that enhance its usability and performance, making it a valuable investment for those seeking a reliable and versatile power source. Here are the key features that stand out:
- Dual Fuel Technology: This feature allows the generator to run on either gasoline or propane, offering flexibility depending on the fuel type available or preferred by the user.
- Powerful Engine: The generator is equipped with a 457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke engine that delivers a robust performance, ensuring that your power needs are met.
- High Power Output: With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts on gasoline (10,200 starting watts and 8,075 running watts on propane), the generator can power multiple heavy-duty appliances simultaneously.
- Electric Start: The generator features an easy-to-use electric start (battery included), making it quick and hassle-free to get the generator running.
- Multiple Outlets: The generator comes with a variety of AC and DC outlets, including four 120V household outlets, one 120V 30A twist lock outlet, one 240V 30A outlet, and one 240V 50A outlet, catering to different power needs.
- MX2 Technology: This DuroMax exclusive feature allows the generator to operate at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power, providing maximum flexibility.
- Automatic Voltage Regulator: This feature helps manage power output and handle power surges or sudden increases in demand, ensuring a steady power supply to your appliances and tools.
- Low Oil Shutoff: The generator automatically shuts off when it runs low on oil, protecting the engine from damage.
- Fully Featured Power Panel: The user-friendly interface includes a voltmeter, circuit breaker, low oil indicator, and power outlets, making it easy to operate and monitor the generator.
Design and Build Quality
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a robust and sturdy generator designed to withstand the rigors of regular use and harsh conditions. Its solid construction is one of its standout features, with many users praising its durability and longevity.
The generator’s design is both practical and user-friendly. The control panel is neatly organized, featuring GFCI outlets, an analog volt meter, an MX2 switch, a low oil sensor, and a switch start.
The outlets include two 120V 20A standard household outlets, one 120V 30A twist lock outlet, one 120/240V 30A outlet, and one 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, catering to a wide range of power needs.
One of the key features of the DuroMax XP12000EH is its dual fuel capability. This allows users to run the generator on either gasoline or propane, providing flexibility and convenience. This feature is particularly useful in situations where one type of fuel may be more readily available than the other.
The DuroMax XP12000EH also features an electric start, which simplifies the startup process and adds to its ease of use. This is a significant advantage, especially in emergency situations where quick and easy startup is essential.
However, the DuroMax XP12000EH is not without its drawbacks. Some users have reported issues with the wheel kit, stating that it could be more durable. Given the generator’s weight of 224 lbs, a robust and reliable wheel kit is crucial for enhancing its portability.
In terms of size, the DuroMax XP12000EH measures 30 x 29 x 26 inches. While it’s not the most compact generator on the market, its design is still relatively streamlined considering its high power output. Its dimensions are manageable, and it can be stored and transported relatively easily.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH offers a solid build and a thoughtful design that enhances its usability and durability. However, improvements could be made to the wheel kit to enhance its portability further. Despite this minor issue, the DuroMax XP12000EH remains a reliable and well-designed generator that offers good value for its price.
Other Users’ Experience
The DuroMax XP12000EH has received a significant amount of positive feedback from users. Many customers have praised the generator’s powerful performance and reliability. They appreciate its ability to run multiple large appliances simultaneously, making it an ideal choice for power outages, off-grid living, or work sites.
The dual fuel option is another feature that users have found particularly useful. The flexibility to switch between gasoline and propane provides an added layer of convenience and can be a lifesaver in situations where one type of fuel is unavailable.
Users have also commended the generator for its ease of assembly and use. The controls are described as intuitive and straightforward, contributing to a user-friendly experience even for those new to generators.
However, the generator is not without its drawbacks. Some users have found the DuroMax XP12000EH to be quite heavy and bulky, making it challenging to move around. This is a common issue with generators of this size and power output, but it’s worth noting for those who require a more portable solution.
Another point of contention among users is the noise level. A few users have reported that the generator can be quite loud when running at full capacity. This might be a consideration if you plan to use the generator in a residential area or a quiet outdoor setting.
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH has proven to be a reliable and powerful generator that meets the needs of many users. Despite some concerns about its weight and noise level, its robust performance, dual fuel capability, and ease of use make it a worthwhile investment for many.
DuroMax XP12000EH Alternatives
If you’re considering the DuroMax XP12000EH but are still exploring your options, here are two alternatives that are in the same class and power range.
The Westinghouse WGen12000 is a robust and reliable generator that offers a peak power of 15,000 watts and running power of 12,000 watts. It’s equipped with a 713cc V-Twin Westinghouse Engine constructed for durability. It also features remote start with key fob and push-button start with recoil backup.
Similar to the DuroMax XP12000EH, it has a dual fuel option, allowing you to use either gasoline or propane. However, it stands out with its Smart Idle feature that adjusts the power output to save on fuel and reduce noise.
The Pulsar G12KBN is another worthy alternative. It provides 12,000 peak watts with gasoline and 10,800 peak watts with LPG. It also has a dual fuel feature, similar to the DuroMax XP12000EH.
One key difference is that the Pulsar G12KBN has a slightly smaller fuel tank capacity (8 gallons) compared to the DuroMax XP12000EH (8.3 gallons). However, it compensates with its convenient electric push start and maintenance-free battery.
Both alternatives offer a variety of outlets for multiple uses and are equipped with durable wheels for easy transportation, much like the DuroMax XP12000EH.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the DuroMax XP12000EH
Here are the key strengths and weaknesses identified in our review of DuroMax XP12000EH.
- Powerful: The DuroMax XP12000EH delivers a high power output, capable of powering multiple heavy-duty appliances simultaneously.
- Dual Fuel: The generator’s ability to run on either gasoline or propane offers users flexibility and convenience.
- EPA and CARB Compliance: The DuroMax XP12000EH is CARB and EPA approved, meeting stringent emission standards and making it usable in all 50 states.
- Electric Start: The generator features an easy-to-use electric start, ensuring a quick and hassle-free start-up.
- 50amp Outlet: The presence of a 50amp outlet allows for powering heavy-duty appliances and tools.
- GFCI outlets: The generator includes two GFCI outlets, each rated at 120V/20AMP. These outlets provide an added layer of safety by guarding against electrical shock, which is particularly beneficial in moist or damp environments.
- Heavy: Weighing 224 lbs, the generator is quite heavy, which could affect its portability.
- Low fuel efficiency: the generator’s fuel consumption is above the average compared to other generators in the same class.
Features and Specifications
Here’s a summary of the key features and specifications of the DuroMax XP12000EH:
|Product Name||DuroMax XP12000EH|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts (gasoline)||9,500 W|
|Starting watts (gasoline)||12,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V) (gasoline)||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V) (gasoline)||100/50 amps|
|Run time @50% load (gasoline)||8 h|
|Run time @25% load (gasoline)||19 h|
|Running watts (propane)||9,025 W|
|Starting watts (propane)||11,400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V) (propane)||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V) (propane)||85/42.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load (propane)||3.5 h|
|Run time @25% load (propane)||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI, 1x 120V 30A (L5-30R), 1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R), 1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
About DuroMax Company
DuroMax is a well-known company in the power equipment industry, renowned for its high-quality generators. The company is based in Ontario, California, and it prides itself on delivering reliable and affordable power solutions to consumers across the globe. DuroMax’s product line includes a wide range of generators, from portable units for camping and RV use to heavy-duty models for home backup and construction sites.
The company is committed to innovation and continuously invests in research and development to improve its products and meet the evolving needs of its customers. DuroMax generators are known for their durability, performance, and versatility, with features like dual fuel technology and MX2 power boost technology setting them apart from the competition.
Check out our comprehensive DurMax generator review to learn more about the brand and its best-performing generators.
Who Should Buy the DuroMax XP12000EH?
The DuroMax XP12000EH is an ideal choice for individuals who require a powerful and versatile generator for a variety of applications. Its high power output makes it suitable for powering heavy-duty appliances and tools, making it an excellent choice for construction sites, large events, and as a home backup power source during outages. The dual fuel capability adds to its versatility, allowing users to switch between gasoline and propane based on availability or preference.
However, due to its size and weight, it may not be the best choice for those seeking a portable generator for camping. Also, its higher price point may not suit those on a tight budget looking for a basic generator for occasional use. If noise level is a significant concern, users might want to consider quieter models.
Conclusion: DurMax XP12000EH Generator Review
In conclusion, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a robust and versatile generator that offers significant value for its price. Its high power output, dual fuel capability, and an array of features make it a reliable choice for those in need of a powerful generator for various applications. While it does have a few drawbacks, such as its weight and noise level, these are outweighed by its strengths, making it a worthy investment for many users.
The generator’s performance, build quality, and user-friendly design, along with the backing of a reputable company like DuroMax, contribute to its overall appeal. It’s clear that a lot of thought has gone into the design and construction of the DuroMax XP12000EH, resulting in a product that delivers on its promises.
Based on our review, the DuroMax XP12000EH stands as a solid choice in its category. Whether you need a generator for home backup, construction work, or large events, the DuroMax XP12000EH is a strong contender that deserves consideration.