Table of Contents
- 1 Westinghouse WGen9500DF Generator
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
- 4 General Rating
- 5 WGen9500DF Video Reviews
- 6 WGen9500DF Generator Review
- 6.1 Performance
- 6.2 Convenience
- 6.3 Reliability
- 6.4 Value for Money
- 6.5 Other Users’ Experience
- 6.6 Westinghouse WGen9500DF Alternatives
- 6.7 Strengths and Weaknesses of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF
- 7 Features and Specifications
- 8 Is Westinghouse a Good Generator Brand?
- 9 Who Should Buy the Westinghouse WGen9500DF?
- 10 Conclusion: Is It Worth Buying Westinghouse WGen9500DF?
TL;DR: The Westinghouse WGen9500DF stands out as a top-tier portable generator. Its dual fuel flexibility, combined with Westinghouse’s reputable durability, makes it a reliable choice for various needs. While slightly hefty, its power and features justify its stature. In essence, the WGen9500DF is a worthwhile investment for those prioritizing power and reliability in one package.
In the realm of portable generators, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF stands out as a beacon of power and versatility. Designed to cater to a wide range of needs, from household emergencies to powering tools at job sites, this dual fuel generator offers the flexibility of running on both gasoline and propane.
With a robust power output of 9,500 continuous watts on gasoline and a peak of 12,500 watts, it promises reliability when you need it most. Beyond its technical prowess, the WGen9500DF is a testament to Westinghouse’s commitment to quality and innovation.
Whether you’re preparing for unexpected power outages or planning an outdoor adventure, this generator is poised to be a dependable companion. Dive into our comprehensive Westinghouse WGen9500DF review to discover what makes this generator a top choice for many.
Below is a breakdown of our main score – the Editor’s Rating – for the WGen9500DF. It is derived from a thorough review of the WGen9500DF portable generator, in which we assessed it against more than 15 criteria.
|Fuel efficiency and run time
|Ease of Use
|Reliability and Durability
|Value for Money
To learn more about our Rating system, visit this page.
Check out our curated ranking lists featuring the WGen9500DF as a top choice:
WGen9500DF Video Reviews
WGen9500DF Generator Review
- WGen9500DF’s power output is commendable, effortlessly catering to a range of appliances and tools.
- While its fuel efficiency and run time are in line with industry standards, it’s the generator’s adaptability to both gasoline and propane that elevates its performance profile.
- The noise level, although slightly above the quietest models, remains within acceptable bounds for its power class.
- Overall, for those prioritizing consistent and robust performance in a portable generator, the WGen9500DF proves to be a reliable choice.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is undeniably a powerhouse in the portable generator market. Its impressive power output is one of its standout features, making it suitable for a variety of applications.
On gasoline, the generator boasts a continuous running wattage of 9,500W, with a surge wattage reaching up to 12,500W. This means it can comfortably handle most household appliances, tools, and even some heavy-duty equipment without breaking a sweat. For those opting to use propane, the WGen9500DF still delivers commendably with 8,500 rated watts and a starting wattage of 11,200W.
To illustrate the WGen9500DF’s capabilities, here’s a table demonstrating the simultaneous power output for various common appliances and tools when fueled by gasoline.
|Refrigerator (18 cu.ft.)
|Window AC (10,000 BTU)
|Sump Pump (1/2 HP)
|Microwave Oven (1000W)
|Lights (5 x 60W bulbs)
Such power output ensures that whether you’re facing a blackout at home, working on a construction site, or enjoying an RV trip, you won’t be left wanting for electricity. The generator’s capability to switch between gasoline and propane without a significant drop in power is a testament to its versatility and design excellence.
However, while its power output is substantial, it’s worth noting that there are a few generators in the market that might offer slightly higher wattages. But for its price range and other features, the WGen9500DF offers an excellent balance of power and functionality.
Run Time and Fuel Efficiency
Fuel efficiency and run time are critical factors when considering a portable generator, especially for prolonged use during power outages or extended work sessions. The Westinghouse WGen9500DF showcases commendable performance in these areas, though there’s room for improvement when compared to some competitors.
For fuel efficiency at 25% load, the WGen9500DF consumes 0.55 gallons per hour (GPH), which is on the higher end when compared to the average of 0.45 GPH. At 50% load, its consumption is 0.83 GPH, which is slightly better than the average of 0.85 GPH. This indicates that the generator is more fuel-efficient when operating at higher loads.
In terms of run time, the WGen9500DF can operate for 12 hours at 25% load, which is on par with the lowest in its class and below the average of 17 hours. At 50% load, it offers a run time of 8 hours, which is slightly below the average of 9 hours but still within a respectable range.
While the WGen9500DF doesn’t lead the pack in fuel efficiency and run time, it still offers reliable performance. Its slightly lower run times at 25% load might be a concern for those seeking extended operation without refueling. However, its better-than-average fuel efficiency at 50% load somewhat compensates for this.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is advertised to operate at a noise level of 74 dBA, which has been proven to be true during our research.
When tested, the generator produced an average noise level of 74 to 75 dBA with no load, and between 79 to 80 dBA at 50% load, measured from a distance of 20 feet.
These noise levels are within the expected range for a generator of this size.
While the WGen9500DF offers a reasonably balanced performance in terms of noise, it’s worth noting that there are other models available in the market that may be more suitable for those who are particularly sensitive to noise or seek a quieter operation. Check our guide on super quiet generators.
In essence, the WGen9500DF offers a middle-ground noise level. It might not be the first choice for those seeking whisper-quiet operation, but it’s far from being disruptively loud. Given its power output and other features, the noise level is a reasonable trade-off for the benefits it brings to the table.
- WGen9500DF boasts a well-designed handle and wheel kit, enabling easy portability despite its weight.
- The ease of use is further enhanced by its diverse starting methods, including a remote start, which users find particularly beneficial in adverse conditions.
- Additionally, the clear and user-friendly manual simplifies the setup and operation process, even for novices.
- While its weight might pose a challenge for some, the overall user experience in terms of convenience is largely positive.
Portability is a significant factor for users who need to move their generators around, whether it’s within a property, to a job site, or for recreational activities. The Westinghouse WGen9500DF, with its weight of 211 lbs, is undeniably on the heavier side when compared to some portable generators. This weight can make it a bit challenging to maneuver, especially on uneven terrains or for extended distances.
However, the generator’s dimensions, measuring approximately 27.2 x 26.1 x 26.5 inches, make it relatively compact for its power class. This compactness can be an advantage when considering storage or when space is at a premium.
Another point in its favor is the inclusion of a wheel kit and a folding handle, which significantly aids in its mobility. These features ensure that, despite its weight, the generator can be moved with relative ease by a single person on flat surfaces.
In summary, while the Westinghouse WGen9500DF might not be the most portable option due to its weight, its design and additional features like the wheel kit make it manageable. For users who prioritize power over ultra-portability, this generator strikes a reasonable balance.
Ease of Use
For many users, especially those not deeply familiar with machinery, the ease of use of a generator can be a determining factor in their purchase decision. The Westinghouse WGen9500DF shines in this department.
Starting with its multiple starting systems, the generator offers recoil, electric, and even remote starting options. This versatility ensures that users can choose the most convenient method for them, with the remote start being a standout feature, especially in adverse weather conditions. If this is a must-feature for you then make sure to check our article on the top remote start generators.
The generator’s control panel is intuitively designed, making it straightforward even for novices to understand and operate. Clear labels and a user-friendly layout mean that users can quickly identify and use the various outlets and switches without confusion.
Additionally, the inclusion of a user manual, oil, funnel, tools, and other accessories in the package, simplifies the initial setup process. The expected assembly time of about 10 minutes further attests to its user-centric design.
Another noteworthy feature is the data center with VFT (Voltage, Frequency, and Time) display, which provides real-time updates and ensures users are always informed about the generator’s performance.
While no product is without its learning curve, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF has been designed with user convenience in mind, making it one of the more user-friendly generators in its class.
- WGen9500DF is sturdy and designed to withstand regular use, ensuring longevity.
- It Meets industry standards with CARB and EPA approvals.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- A notable drawback is the lack of a carbon monoxide sensor, which is present in WGen9500DFc.
- Overall, WGen9500DF is a dependable generator that promises consistent performance over time, with minor areas for improvement.
Reliability and Durability
Reliability and durability are paramount when investing in a generator. After all, in times of need, users want assurance that their generator won’t let them down. The Westinghouse WGen9500DF has several features that speak to its robustness and dependability.
Firstly, the generator is powered by a 457 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke engine. Westinghouse, as a brand, has a longstanding reputation for producing reliable engines, and this particular model is no exception. It’s designed to deliver consistent power output over extended periods, ensuring that users can rely on it during prolonged outages or intensive tasks.
The generator’s steel fuel tank, with a capacity of 6.6 gallons, not only ensures longer run times but also adds to the unit’s overall durability. Steel tanks are known for their resistance to wear and tear, making them a preferred choice for heavy-duty applications.
Furthermore, the generator comes equipped with safety features like low oil and overload protection. These features not only protect the engine from potential damage but also extend the lifespan of the unit. The inclusion of a spark arrestor is another testament to its reliability, ensuring safe operation, especially in areas where fire hazards are a concern.
The WGen9500DF has been highlighted for its consistent and reliable performance. Many users have praised it as a dependable source of power during outages, further cementing its reputation in the market.
However, it’s essential to address some concerns raised by users. One notable drawback is the absence of a carbon monoxide sensor in the WGen9500DF, unlike its upgraded model, the WGen9500DFc, which does have one. This sensor is crucial for safety, especially when the generator is used near living spaces. Its absence is a point of contention, especially considering the importance of carbon monoxide detection.
In conclusion, while no machine is immune to wear and tear, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF has been built with durability in mind. Its robust engine, protective features, and the brand’s reputation make it a reliable choice for those seeking a long-lasting power solution.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is both EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. This means the generator meets stringent emission standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board. Such certifications not only make the WGen9500DF a more environmentally friendly choice but also ensure its acceptance in states with strict emission regulations, like California.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF comes with a 3-year warranty. This duration is fairly standard for generators in its class, offering users peace of mind knowing that they are covered against potential defects or malfunctions for a considerable period after purchase. While some high-end models in the market might offer slightly longer warranty durations, a 3-year warranty is still a strong indication of the product’s quality.
Value for Money
- Westinghouse WGen9500DF offers a plethora of advanced features typically found in higher-priced models, making it a cost-effective choice.
- While there are generators available at a lower price point, they often compromise on some of the advanced features that this model offers.
- The few concerns raised about its weight and noise level are minor when considering its overall package.
- For those seeking a blend of performance, convenience, and reliability without breaking the bank, the WGen9500DF emerges as a top contender, delivering premium features at a mid-range price.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is priced at $929.00 on average, which places it below the average price of $1,002.00 for generators in its class. When comparing its cost to the range of prices in the market, which spans from $750.00 to $1,239.00, the WGen9500DF offers a compelling value proposition.
For the features, power output, and dual fuel capabilities it provides, this generator offers excellent value for money. It’s not the cheapest option available, but its price point is justified by its performance, reliability, and the brand’s reputation. Buyers are essentially getting a high-quality, versatile generator without the premium price tag of the highest-priced models. This balance of cost and quality makes the WGen9500DF a smart choice for those seeking both performance and value.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is packed with a range of features that make it stand out in the crowded generator market. These features not only enhance its functionality but also contribute to its user-friendliness and safety. Here’s a breakdown of its key features:
- Dual Fuel Capability: Allows users to run the generator on either gasoline or propane, offering flexibility and convenience, especially in situations where one fuel type might be scarce.
- Remote Start: A feature that adds a layer of convenience, especially in adverse weather conditions, allowing users to start the generator from a distance.
- Multiple AC Outlets: Equipped with two 120V 20A, one 120/240V 30A, and one 120/240V 50A outlets, making it versatile for various power needs.
- Transfer Switch Ready (ST Switch Ready): The generator is ready for a transfer switch, making it ideal for home backup power.
- Automatic Voltage Regulation: Ensures a steady voltage output, protecting connected devices from voltage fluctuations.
- Safety Features: Includes overload protection, automatic low oil shut-off, and a spark arrestor for safe operation.
- Data Center with VFT: Provides vital information on voltage, frequency, and lifetime hours, helping users monitor the generator’s performance.
- GFCI Outlets: Ensures user safety, especially in damp conditions.
- Steel Fuel Tank: With a 6.6-gallon capacity, it ensures longer run times and adds to the unit’s overall durability.
- Built-in Fuel Gauge: Allows users to monitor fuel levels easily.
- Emission Compliance: EPA-approved and CARB-compliant, making it environmentally friendly and suitable for use in states with strict emission regulations.
Given the comprehensive set of features that the WGen9500DF offers, it’s clear that Westinghouse has designed this generator with the user’s needs in mind. It strikes a balance between functionality, safety, and convenience, making it a top choice for a wide range of applications.
Design and Build Quality
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF showcases a design that is both functional and robust. Here’s an in-depth look at its design and build quality:
- Open Frame Design: The conventional open frame design of the WGen9500DF ensures optimal airflow, which is crucial for cooling and efficient operation. While this design might not be as compact as inverter-type generators, it’s a staple for high-capacity units, offering stability and durability.
- Sturdy Construction: Made with high-quality materials, the generator is built to withstand regular use and the rigors of outdoor environments. The steel fuel tank adds to its robustness, ensuring longevity.
- Wheel Kit and Handle: Despite its substantial weight of 211 lbs, the WGen9500DF is designed with mobility in mind. The inclusion of a wheel kit and a folding handle makes it relatively easy to move around, especially on flat surfaces.
- Control Panel: The control panel is intuitively designed, providing easy access to all the essential functions. The inclusion of a data center with VFT (Voltage, Frequency, and Total hours) allows users to monitor the generator’s performance at a glance.
- Safety Features: The design incorporates several safety features, including covered outlets to protect against dust and moisture, a spark arrestor to prevent fire hazards, and a low oil shut-off to protect the engine.
- Aesthetic Appeal: While aesthetics might be secondary for a generator, the WGen9500DF sports a clean and professional look with its blue and black color scheme, reflecting Westinghouse’s signature style.
While the WGen9500DF is undeniably well-built and thoughtfully designed, its weight might be a concern for some users, especially when trying to move it on uneven terrains. However, considering its power output and capacity, the weight is justifiable. Overall, the design and build quality of the WGen9500DF are indicative of Westinghouse’s commitment to delivering reliable and durable products.
Other Users’ Experience
Diving into the experiences of those who have used the Westinghouse WGen9500DF dual fuel portable generator, it’s evident that this generator has made a significant positive impact. Many users consistently highlight its unwavering performance, describing it as a dependable powerhouse that’s always ready to deliver when most needed. The electric start feature, in particular, has been a game-changer for many, offering the convenience of a quick start, especially in emergency situations.
The generator’s dual fuel capability stands out, with users appreciating the unparalleled flexibility it offers, especially in situations where one fuel type might be in short supply. The clarity of the manual and setup instructions has also been a boon, making the assembly and initial setup straightforward and hassle-free, even for those who might not be technically inclined.
In terms of value, the WGen9500DF is often praised for offering excellent bang for the buck, given its robust features and consistent performance. However, it’s not without its minor drawbacks. Some users have pointed out its substantial weight, which can make maneuvering a bit of a challenge, especially on uneven terrains. Additionally, a few have noted that while it’s not overwhelmingly noisy, the generator can get a tad loud, especially when operating at its peak.
In summary, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF has emerged as a favorite among users seeking a reliable and versatile power solution. The minor concerns about its weight and noise level are overshadowed by the myriad of benefits it offers, making it a top choice for many.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Alternatives
Often referred to as the “Beast,” the DuroMax XP12000EH is a dual fuel powerhouse, capable of running on either gasoline or propane. Delivering a robust power output of 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts on gasoline, it stands toe-to-toe with the WGen9500DF. Equipped with an electric start, a variety of power outlets, and a rugged frame with never-flat tires, this generator is as versatile as it is powerful. Its design and capabilities make it suitable for a range of applications, from home backup solutions to demanding job sites.
For more info, check out our detailed DuroMax XP12000EH review.
The Generac GP8000E is a testament to Generac’s reputation for reliability and quality in the generator market. Offering 10,000 starting watts and 8,000 running watts on gasoline, it’s a formidable contender in its class. The generator boasts an electric start for hassle-free ignition, a durable steel fuel tank with an integrated fuel gauge, and a protective low-oil shutdown feature. Its design prioritizes mobility, with never-flat wheels and a fold-down handle, ensuring it’s both powerful and portable, ideal for home backup and professional needs alike. Its power output is slightly lower than the WGen9500DF, but it’s still sufficient for most home backup and job site needs.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF
Below is a list of the key strengths and weaknesses we identified in our review of WGen9500DF.
- Dual Fuel Capability: The WGen9500DF can run on both gasoline and propane, offering flexibility in fuel choice.
- High Power Output: With 9,500 running watts and a peak of 12,500 watts on gasoline, it’s suitable for powering major appliances and more.
- Easy Start: Features both push-button electric start and a remote start key fob for convenience, especially in adverse weather conditions.
- Long Run Time: It can operate up to 12 hours on a 6.6-gallon gasoline tank and up to 7 hours on a 20 lb. propane tank, ensuring long-lasting power supply during outages.
- Durable Engine: The 457cc 4-Stroke OHV Westinghouse Engine is built with a durable cast iron sleeve.
- Transfer Switch Ready: The generator is ready for a transfer switch, making it ideal for home backup power.
- Comprehensive Outlet Selection: The generator offers a variety of power outlets, including GFCI 5-20R household duplex outlets and a Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240-Volt twist-lock.
- Safety Features: Equipped with overload protection, low oil shut-off, and a built-in fuel gauge, it prioritizes user safety and equipment protection.
- The generator is both EPA-approved and CARB-compliant, making it environmentally friendly and usable in all 50 states.
- Heavy: Weighing 211 lbs, the WGen9500DF is on the heavier side, which might pose challenges in terms of mobility for some users.
- Can be loud: Operating at a volume as low as 74 dBA, it might be considered noisy in quiet environments.
- Lack of a carbon monoxide sensor
Features and Specifications
|Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)
|457 cc Westinghouse OHV 4-stroke
|Recoil, Electric, Remote
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running watts (gasoline)
|Starting watts (gasoline)
|Running amps (@120/240V) (gasoline)
|Peak amps (@120/240V) (gasoline)
|Run time @50% load (gasoline)
|Run time @25% load (gasoline)
|Running watts (propane)
|Starting watts (propane)
|Running amps (@120/240V) (propane)
|Peak amps (@120/240V) (propane)
|Run time @50% load (propane)
|Run time @25% load (propane)
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI, 1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R), 1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Steel, 6.6 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|27.2 x 26.1 x 26.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin/UPC (when no country)
Is Westinghouse a Good Generator Brand?
Westinghouse is a name that resonates with innovation and reliability. Founded in 1886 by George Westinghouse, the company has its roots in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Over the years, Westinghouse has been at the forefront of numerous technological advancements, from the development of the first alternating current (AC) transformer to pioneering the broadcast industry.
In the realm of portable generators, Westinghouse has established itself as a trusted brand, delivering products that are both durable and efficient. Their generators are known for their cutting-edge features, user-friendly design, and robust performance. With a rich history spanning over a century and a commitment to excellence, Westinghouse continues to be a go-to choice for many when it comes to reliable power solutions. Whether you’re looking for a backup power source for your home or portable power for outdoor adventures, Westinghouse’s legacy of innovation ensures you’re investing in a product built on a foundation of trust and expertise.
To learn more about the brand and its best performing generators, check out our Westinghouse generators review.
Who Should Buy the Westinghouse WGen9500DF?
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is an ideal choice for homeowners seeking a reliable backup power source during unexpected outages, especially those with larger homes that have multiple essential appliances. Its dual fuel capability offers flexibility in fuel choice, making it a practical option for regions where one type of fuel might be scarce. Additionally, professionals working on job sites with high-intensity equipment will find its robust power output beneficial. The generator’s design also makes it suitable for RV travelers, ensuring they have a consistent power source on the go.
However, for those living in smaller spaces or apartments, this generator might be overkill. Similarly, if you’re seeking a quiet, lightweight option for casual camping or tailgating, the WGen9500DF, given its power and size, might not be the most convenient choice. It’s best suited for those who require substantial power output and value the flexibility of dual fuel operation.
Conclusion: Is It Worth Buying Westinghouse WGen9500DF?
In our WGen9500DF review, we’ve thoroughly examined its features, performance, and feedback from users. This generator clearly stands out in its category. With its powerful dual fuel capabilities, user-centric design, and the ability to handle a variety of scenarios from home emergencies to job sites, it’s a testament to Westinghouse’s commitment to quality. The brand’s longstanding reputation for reliability is further emphasized by the positive experiences of its users.
However, like any product, aligning its capabilities with your specific needs is essential. If you’re in search of a robust, reliable, and versatile power source that can handle heavy loads and offers the convenience of gasoline and propane operation, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is undoubtedly a worthy investment.