Table of Contents
- 1 Pulsar Generators Comparison (Our Top Picks)
- 2 Distinguishing Features of Pulsar Generators
- 3 Pricing
- 4 Are Pulsar Generators Good?
- 5 Best Pulsar Generators- Reviews
- 6 About Pulsar Company
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Conclusion: Should You Buy a Pulsar Generator?
In the generator world, quality construction, reliable power output, and silent operations come at a price. Honda is a good case in point. But there a few other generator brands that seek to fill the gap for individuals who want a generator that ticks most of these boxes without being insanely expensive- and Pulsar is one of them.
Pulsar Products, Inc. is an American generator brand headquartered in Ontario, California. This company aims at offering quality innovations at an affordable price tag for everyone. True to their word, Pulsar generators are often several hundred dollars cheaper than most of their competitors. But what about reliability? Are Pulsar generators any good? That’s what we’re about to find out in this Pulsar generator review.
Pulsar Generators Comparison (Our Top Picks)
|Generator||Rating||Starting Watts||Running Watts||Inverter||Fuel Type||Run Time (50% load)||Noise Level||Dimensions (in)||Weight (lbs)||CARB Compliant||View at Amazon|
|Pulsar PG10000B16||5/5||10000 (gasoline), 9000 (propane)||8000 (gasoline), 7000 (propane)||no||Gasoline, Propane||12 hrs (gasoline), 9 hrs (propane)||76 dBA||28.5 x 21.8 x 23||209||yes||See it|
|Pulsar G2319N||5/5||2300||1800||yes||Gasoline||6 hrs||59 dBA||18.9 x 16.5 x 22.4||47||yes||See it|
|Pulsar PG2200BiS||4.7/5||2200 (gasoline), 2000 (propane)||1800 (gasoline), 1600 (propane)||yes||Gasoline, Propane||8 hrs (gasoline), 20 hrs (propane)||60 dBA||18 x 12 x 20||54||yes||See it|
|Pulsar PG1202S||4.5/5||1200||850||no||Gasoline||8.5 hrs||65 dBA||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4||37.5||yes||See it|
|Pulsar PG3250||4.4/5||3250||2500||no||Gasoline||16 hrs||68 dBA||23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9||87||no||See it|
Distinguishing Features of Pulsar Generators
- Power range– Pulsar generators’ power output ranges from 1200w to 15000w.
- Design– Most of these generators are characterized by a blend of gray matte and black colors. This is good if you don’t want a brightly colored generator for your construction site.
- Solidly built for portability– despite their lower price tags, most Pulsar generators seem solidly built. We rarely come across complaints of loose parts. Also, most of them (not all) have foldable handles and never-flat tires for mobility.
- Dual fuel technology– it’s amazing that Pulsar offers dual fuel options with some of its generators despite its price range. For generators that don’t feature this convenience out of the box, there is an option to add a dual fuel kit later.
- Low noise output– going through most Pulsar generator reviews, you’ll realize that these engines are relatively quiet compared to competitor brands. Of course, you should expect higher noise levels with bigger models.
- A straightforward control panel– whether you’re eyeing a traditional open-frame or inverter generator, Pulsar products generally feature a straightforward interface designed for ease of use.
As mentioned before, Pulsar offers some of the most inexpensive generators on the market today. The price gets higher as you seek more power output, but you’ll be paying much less than you’d spend on similarly sized competitor brands regardless. The average price for a Pulsar generator is around $859. The most affordable Pulsar generator sells for around $130 while the priciest goes for about $2700.
Are Pulsar Generators Good?
Pulsar generators are a recommendable investment for people on a budget and those who don’t want to spend a lot on a generator. These power products are generally sturdily built and are designed with portability in mind. Most of the heavy models come with a reliable wheelbase with never-flat tires and a foldable handle. Some of these generators don’t have these mobility accessories, so check beforehand if they matter to you.
Pulsar generators come in 3 major categories- traditional open frame, inverter, and dual-fuel generators. Importantly, some of the single-fuel generators offer the option of adding a dual-fuel kit later.
We appreciate that most stores around the USA carry Pulsar generators and their replacements too. So, repairing and maintaining the product won’t be another struggle.
- Comparatively affordable
- Replacement parts are easy to find
- Control panel has basic features, and it’s easy to use
- Most of them are CARB compliant and approved by the EPA
- These generators are sturdily built and designed with portability in mind
- A few of them have dual-fuel configurations. For those that lack this versatility, there’s an option to add a dual fuel kit
- Inverter generators are relatively quiet
- The stickers tend to peel off with time
- Some of the high-power open-frame generators can get loud
- Basic control panel means that most of the controls are left out. Check the available outlets and controls beforehand.
Best Pulsar Generators- Reviews
Pulsar PG10000B16 Dual Fuel Generator
- Dual fuel option
- Switch between gasoline and propane while in use
- Loads of power
- Comparatively inexpensive
- Excellent portability
- Notably louder
- Heavy at over 200 lbs
|Pulsar PG10000B16 Specifications|
|Starting Watts||10000 (gasoline), 9000 (propane)|
|Running Watts||8000 (gasoline), 7000 (propane)|
|Noise Level||76 dBA|
|Fuel Type||Gasoline, Propane|
|Tank size (gal)||6.6|
|Run Time||12 hrs (gasoline), 9 hrs (propane) at 50% load|
|Dimensions (in)||28.5 x 21.8 x 23|
The Pulsar PG10000B16 is among the most powerful generators from this manufacturer. This generator fits the bill if you’re looking for a dual-fuel generator with high power output and a low price tag. Its 420-cc engine produces 10,000 watts at peak and 8000 rated watts when running on gasoline. The Pulsar PG10000B16 features a 6.6-gal tank and averages 12 hours of continuous runtime on gas.
Pulsar G2319N Inverter Generator
- Compact size
- Lightweight for portability
- Starts and runs well
- Clean power
- Great fuel economy
- Hard to change oil without spilling
- Can be whinny
|Pulsar G2319N Specifications|
|Noise Level||59 dBA|
|Tank size (gal)||1.18|
|Run Time||6 hrs at 50% load|
|Dimensions (in)||18.9 x 16.5 x 22.4|
The Pulsar G2319 is an affordable inverter generator that produces 2300 peaks watts and 1800 running watts. One of the best-rated inverters out there, this model boasts a compact suitcase design and weighs under 47 lbs. It carries a 1.18-gallon tank from which it runs for 4.8 hours at half-load between refills.
Pulsar PG2200BiS Dual Fuel Inverter Generator
- Dual-fuel capability
- Fuel efficient
- Compact and lightweight
- A few reports about difficulties starting on propane
|Pulsar PG2200BiS Specifications|
|Starting Watts||2200 (gasoline), 2000 (propane)|
|Running Watts||1800 (gasoline), 1600 (propane)|
|Noise Level||60 dBA|
|Fuel Type||Gasoline, Propane|
|Tank size (gal)||1.2|
|Run Time||8 hrs (gasoline), 20 hrs (propane) at 50% load|
|Dimensions (in)||18 x 12 x 20|
We are great fans of the Pulsar PG2200BiS because of its inverter technology and dual-fuel capability. This generator uses an 80-cc engine and promises 2200 watts of peak power and 1800 running watts. This makes it perfect for low power needs at home and in most outdoor events. The Pulsar PG2200BiS is fuel-efficient and will offer up to 8 hours at half load from its 1.18 tank or 75 minutes per pound of propane.
Pulsar PG1202S Generator
- Compact and lightweight
- Runs smoothly
- Low power output
- A little noisy
|Pulsar PG1202S Specifications|
|Noise Level||65 dBA|
|Tank size (gal)||1.1|
|Run Time||8.5 hrs at 50% load|
|Dimensions (in)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4|
For those who want a compact generator that they can take to camps, beach, and hunting trips, the Pulsar PG1202S might be a perfect pick. This model is powered by a 2-stroke 72-cc engine that offers 1200 peak watts and 900 running watts. The PG1202S is compact and weighs around 35 lbs only and has a sturdy handle at the top for portability.
Pulsar PG3250 Generator
- Straightforward to use
- Long runtime
- High power output for the price
- Consistent power output
- Not the quietest
- Basic power outputs
|Pulsar PG3250 Specifications|
|Noise Level||68 dBA|
|Tank size (gal)||4|
|Run Time||16 hrs at 50% load|
|Dimensions (in)||23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9|
This is a no-frills gasoline-powered generator designed for people who want a generator for occasional use. The Pulsar PG3250 uses a 208-cc engine that outputs 3250 starting watts and 2500 running watts. This generator has a 4-gallon tank, and it maxes 12 hours of runtime at half-load. Note that it has two 120v and one 12v outlets only.
About Pulsar Company
Pulsar is a power equipment manufacturer based in Ontario, California. Its position in the portable generator market is to offer a cost-efficient power solution while maintaining reliable performance.
Besides portable generators, Pulsar also makes other power equipment, including air compressors, lawnmowers, power tools, pressure washers, and respirator masks.
|Company name||Pulsar Products Inc.|
|Address||5721 E Santa Ana St, Suite A, Ontario, CA 91761|
|Phone||+1 (866) 591-8921|
Frequently Asked Questions
Who makes Pulsar generators?
Pulsar generators belong to an American brand called Pulsar Products, Inc. However, the engines are made by another Chinese company called Ducar.
Where are Pulsar generators made?
China. Most of the design is done in the USA, but manufacturing happens in China.
Where to buy Pulsar generators?
Pulsar does not sell their generators off their main website. But you can purchase its generators from Amazon, Home Depot, eBay, Overstock, and Walmart, among other dealers listed here. Important to mention, Pulsar does not indicate the prices of its products on the website. You need to shop around for the best deals.
What warranty does Pulsar offer for its generators?
1-3 years. The warranty varies between generators but it’s in the range of 1-3 years.
Which is the best oil for Pulsar generators?
You should use synthetic 5w-30 oil.
Conclusion: Should You Buy a Pulsar Generator?
We believe that Pulsar will make a great purchase if you’re after an affordable no-frills generator. As you may see in our Pulsar generator reviews, the brand’s devices may not be feature-packed but they cost a fraction of what most top-of-the-range generators come at. Amazingly, they offer pretty much similar performance.
If you’re eyeing a Pulsar generator, the chances are that you’re looking for affordable generator brands. In that case, WEN, Westinghouse, Sportsman, and Champion are other recommendable options. Check out what they bring to the table too.